These 5 Things Could Get Rid Of Your Achilles Tendinopathy.
Updated: Apr 17
In our last blog, Tendinopathy = Science Made Simple we explained the 3 stages of the tendinopathy continuum which is all well and good, but if you're like us then you'll probably want to know how to get rid of it... So we put together our 5 top tips on how to tackle Achilles Tendinopathy.
1. DO: Load management - Reduce your tendon loading to a level that the tendon can handle and then gradually increase the load without causing overload, this is the main principle in tendinopathy treatment, this may mean reducing the amount of training sessions per week or the time of these sessions.
2. DON’T: Rest - Reducing load is an important element in the treatment of an Achilles tendinopathy, but complete rest can decrease the tendons ability to accept load.
3. DO: Strengthening - Once the pain is being correctly managed by appropriate loading, the focus can shift to strengthening the muscles in the calf, the current literature supports a program of eccentric training, (the process in which a muscle is activated while lengthening) e.g. the lowering portion of a calf raise. A basic program to follow 3 x 15 heel drops 2 x per day, focussing on lowering the heels slowly.
4. DONT: Ignore your pain - Pain can be used as a way to judge how you are responding to current loading levels, ignoring this by training though the pain will only lead to things getting worse.
5. DO: See a Professional - Treating a tendinopathy can be a complex journey, seeking the help of a qualified and well experienced Sports Therapist can help to make the recovery process smoother and more effective.
#running #longdistancerunning #sportsmassage #sportstherapywestlondon #sportstherapy #Sportsinjuries #tendinopathy #run #sprinting #medical #physiotherapy #sportstherapyhounslow #sportsmassagehounslow #strengthandconditioning #achillestendonitis #plantarfasciitis #plantarfasciopathy #runningphysiotherapy